Hey, this is Matt from over at FaveDiets.com. Now that June is upon us, all I can think about is summer. Yes, summer doesn’t officially start for a few more weeks, but the warm weather means one thing to me – summer potlucks. Whether for potlucks, picnics or barbecues, summer is all about entertaining and being with friends and loved ones.
The problem is, a lot of typical summer fare isn’t always the healthiest for you. Barbecue sandwiches, corn cobs covered in butter and mayonnaise-heavy potato salads aren’t exactly great fare for those of us trying to be healthy and lose weight. But you can still enjoy your summer celebrations with healthy recipes that overflow with flavor. Here are two of the best potluck recipes for your summer.
POTLUCK POTATO SALAD WITH BEER
Cooking Time: 1 hr
* 3 pounds potatoes
* 2 cups diced celery
* 1 small onion, chopped
* salt, to taste
* 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
* 1/4 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
* 1/2 cup beer
* 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Cook potatoes in skins until tender (bake about an hour at 350 degrees F).
2. When cool, peel and dice.
3. Add celery and onion and season to taste with salt.
4. Blend mayonnaise with mustard and hot pepper sauce; gradually stir in beer. Add parsley.
5. Pour over potato mixture. Mix lightly with fork. Chill.
NO-MAYO FRUIT AND TUNA SALAD
Preparation Time: 5 min
* 6 ounces tuna in water, canned, drained
* 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
* 1/2 cup purchased shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
* 1/3 cup lemon low fat yogurt
* 2/3 cup purchased shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
* 2 medium peaches, pitted and sliced
1. Combine half of the grapes and the 1/2 cup shredded cabbage mixtures in a small bowl. Stir in the yogurt.
2. Line 2 serving plates with remaining 2/3 cup shredded cabbage mixture.
3. Spoon tuna mixture on top. Serve with peach slices and remaining grapes.
Enjoy! For more great summer recipes be sure to check in to FaveDiets.com daily.